Youth Boatbuilding Program Lead
Location: The Center for Wooden Boats at Cama Beach State Park, Camano Island, Washington
The Center for Wooden Boats (CWB) at Cama Beach seeks a Youth Boatbuilding Program Lead. The goal of the Youth Boatbuilding Program at Cama Beach is to introduce students to boatbuilding as a means of imparting valuable employment and life skills. The primary method to be used in the accomplishment of these goals is the construction of small, traditional (i.e. lapstrake or carvel planked) boats suitable for youth and family programs on Puget Sound. The Program Lead will work closely with other CWB staff (including Site Manager and Boatwright in Residence) to develop curriculum, coordinate schedules, and deliver programs. The Program Lead reports to CWB’s Cama Beach Manager.
• Oversee coordination and delivery of Cama Youth Boatbuilding program
• Manage program budget with Site Manager
• Oversee safety, cleanliness, and maintenance of wood working tools
• Coordinate communications related to Boatbuilding program to schools, funders, visitors, public
• Help develop programmatic frame work and content for on-water youth programs
• Supervise work of staff, trainees, and volunteers in support of Youth Boatbuilding Program
• Develop project plans and budgets; report on progress as needed.
• Ability to balance the requirements of boat construction and the needs of education
Skills and Experiences:
• Extensive experiential education experience
• Experience in traditional boatbuilding skills.
• Strong experience handling sail and power boats
• Demonstrated ability to lead effectively
• Outstanding organization and communication skills
• Demonstrated teamwork skills and commitment
• Demonstrated project management experience (scheduling, budgeting, prioritizing, reporting)
• Proven experience teaching boatbuilding skills
• Experience organizing and working with volunteers
• Experience working with diverse cultural, age and gender populations
• Experience teaching small groups
• Experience in repair and maintenance of woodshop equipment
• The position is based on Camano Island (65 miles north of Seattle) at Cama Beach State Park. This is a rural location. The closest town is Stanwood (14 miles). Rental housing is available on the Island and in neighboring towns. Temporary housing on site may be available.
• Program Lead will be required to travel in CWB vehicle or POV with reimbursement for travel.
• Work schedule includes weekends.
• This is a 10-month position.
• 10-month salary range $24,000-$28,000 depending on experience.
• The position is full time, salaried, and has benefits.
• Must have Washington State Driver’s License or ability to obtain one within 30 days
• Must have clean driving record
• Must pass a criminal background check.
Interested applicants should turn in their applications by 5pm July 15, either by email (email@example.com) or physical mail (CWB at Cama Beach, 1880 SW Camano DR, Camano Island, WA 98282. Applications will be considered which contain: (1) Cover letter (2) Work Experience/Education Resume (3) Contact information for three references. More information available at www.cwb.org.