1) Director of Education, Penobscot Marine Museum, ncd
2) Alan Pearsall Postdoc Fellowship in Naval and Maritime History, University of London, closes 5 April
The Institute administers the Alan Pearsall Fellowship, which is awarded for postdoctoral research into any aspect of Naval or Maritime History, anywhere in the world, from the fall of the Roman Empire in the West to the present day. The stipend for this award will be £22,000 for the full 2013–14 session.
3) PhD Bursary, History of Port Towns and Urban Cultures, University of Portsmouth, closes 22 February
The Port Towns and Urban Cultures research group was established to further our understanding of the social and cultural impact of ports on the urban hinterland from the eighteenth century to the modern period. In partnership with the National Museum of the Royal Navy, the research group are working on a range of projects that include sailors’ families, leisure, youth organisations, and maritime folklore in port towns.
4) Educator, USS Constitution Museum, Boston, MA
Educators at the USS Constitution Museum work in a highly visible position that is essential to fulfilling the Museum’s mission of creating a fun environment where visitors can learn and connect to history. The position is primarily responsible for welcoming and providing exceptional customer service to our visitors; facilitating a range of hands-on interpretive programs for different audiences, including families and Pre K-12th grade students; and encouraging visitors to voluntarily donate to the Museum. As a part of the Museum Learning department, you will be trained in interpretation techniques, customer service, and USS Constitution’s history. Ideal candidates possess strong customer service, organizational, oral and written communication skills; a mature and outgoing personality; and an enjoyment for interacting with members of the public. Previous employment or volunteer experience in museum education/interpretation or customer service positions is preferred, but not required. Those selected for the position will be required to attend training at the end of March. Full and part time positions are available for the summer (March 18-October 31) season. One weekend day is required. Interested individuals should send letter of interest, resume, and references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted. EOE.
5) PhD Positions, closes 1 March 2013, Maritime History topics.
The Institut für Zeitgeschichte / Institute for Contemporary History in Munich-Berlin offers two PhD positions for April 2013 entry.
6) University of Thessaly offers a position of Postdoc Researcher Graduate in Archaeology PhD in Vioarchaiologia with emphasis on the study of marine palaeoenvironment for the Social Archaeology of Early Iron Age and Early Archaic Greece project situated in Volos.