The Marine Corps University Foundation is seeking applicants for the Major General Matthew C. Horner Chair of Naval History for the Academic Years 2020-2022. The Chair provides the Marine Corps University a resident scholar with expertise in naval history, with a strong knowledge of American Naval affairs. The Chair will serve at Marine Corps University on Marine Corps Base, Quantico and operate out of the Brute Krulak Center for Innovation and Creativity.
Role purpose : Responsible to develop and deliver high quality research and content material for NMOQ Maritime and Costal History related to core exhibition development and related activates of research, scholars, and publications.
- The Curator of Maritime and Coastal History will be an intellectual authority in the field of the maritime history, archaeology and heritage of Qatar, the Gulf and broader Middle East region.
- Excellent knowledge of the key maritime historical sites and material culture of Qatar and the Gulf/Middle East.
- Experience of maritime-related fieldwork in Qatar and/or the Gulf
- Good record of research and publishing on relevant maritime subjects
- Experience in museums
- Knowledge of preservation and documentation standards of museum collections.
- Solid understanding of collecting and research ethics.
- Knowledge of the KE Emu Collections Management System helpful, or similar CMS
- Excellent written, communication, presentation, and negotiation skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, database software
- Knowledge of Arabic helpful.
- PhD in Maritime History/Archaeology
- Minimum of 5 years of professional experience (field work, academia, museums) with an excellent understanding of the maritime history of Qatar and the Arabian Gulf.
Marine archaeologist performs survey and excavation activities underwater and in a waterlogged environment as well as carries out documentation and report writing before, during and after these activities.
Master Degree in Maritime/Nautical Archaeology or related field, a PhD Degree is desirable.
A minimum of 7 years relevant experience as marine archaeologist.
Experience conducting underwater archaeological surveys including remote sensing data collection and processing, mapping, recording, excavation and report writing.
Practical and theoretical knowledge about measuring, drawing and documenting underwater.
Ability and willingness to dive in low visibility conditions.
Certification as scientific diver.
Certificate for boat experience that includes launching, trailering and operating is desirable.
Prior working experience in Middle East or Gulf regions is highly desirable.
Zale Perry Scholarship Application
This scholarship is available to students currently enrolled in a graduate school program in any of the following diving fields of study; Aquatic Biology, Ecology, Marine Sciences,
Marine Conservation, Diving Medicine and Hyperbarics, Ocean Engineering and Underwater Archeology.
Application deadline is September 15, 2019.
This Research Associate, within the Department of Anthropology, will work independently and under the direction of qualified faculty and staff on all phases of an upcoming research project. The position requires someone who has relevant experience in archaeological ship documentation, especially in LASER scanning and the virtual 3-dementional reconstruction of 18th-century watercraft. We need an individual who subscribes to and supports our commitment as stated above. If the description of this Research Associate position sounds interesting to you, we invite you to apply to be considered for this opportunity.
Closes soon. Apply!
Supports the Underwater Cultural Heritage Unit (UCHU) whose main tasks are to manage, protect and valorise Malta’s underwater cultural heritage.
(Jobsplus permit: 588/2019)
Applicants must be in possession of:
- Pertinent Diploma Qualification (MQR level 4) or an appropriate, recognised, comparable qualification.
- A Degree in Archaeology will be considered an asset.
Interested applicants are required to apply by sending a letter of application together with a detailed curriculum vitae by not later than 12.00 hrs (noon) of Friday 23rd August 2019 to the following address:
Human Resources Manager
Ex Royal Naval Hospital, Triq Marina
Bighi, Kalkara. KKR 1524
Or via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Late applications will not be considered.
The incumbent serves as the archeologist for Everglades and Dry Tortugas National Parks. Both parks contain significant archeologlcal and historic resources, including National Historic sites, National Historic Districts, National Historic Landmarks, and World Heritage Sites. Some of the archeological sites in both parks Include submerged resources and the incumbent must be an NPS diver to access them. Previous experience or education in the study of submerged archeological sites and prehistoric and historic archeologlcal sites of Florida are a requirement of the position.