AECOM is seeking a part-time/on-call Archaeologist to support archaeological diving projects in various locations across the US. This position will support our Impact, Assessment, and Permitting team within our Environment business line.
This position is expected to begin April/May 2023. This part-time/on-call position can vary from 0-40 hours/week depending on needs and can offer flexible scheduling as reasonably discussed .
The Archaeologist will support a variety of upcoming archaeological diving projects. The underwater archaeological diver conducts field work consisting of scientific archaeological diving; implements archaeological inventory, evaluation, and data recovery efforts; analyzes prehistoric and historic artifacts and prepares notes and reports about the outcome. They may utilize GIS, GPS, remote sensing data, geophysical data, topographic maps, site records, and reports and are adept at underwater archaeological data collection techniques. Field projects are primarily located in the U.S. but could be located anywhere in the world.
Responsibilities include, but may not be limited to:
- Performs fieldwork consisting of scientific archaeological diving including monitoring, data collection, and excavation and can perform laboratory analysis and interpretation as necessary.
- Provides logistical support to field directors (assembles equipment and supplies, organizes paperwork, etc.).
- Collects information and makes judgments through observation, interviews, and the review of documents and data.
- Supports field directors and other supervisors as needed in producing reports that record site history, methodology and artifact analysis results, along with recommendations for conserving and interpreting findings (writes report sections, prepares graphics, etc.).
- Has ability to perform bending, kneeling, standing, and lifting and carrying objects weighing 50 lbs. and have a tolerance for working outdoors in near and offshore environments and on boats/ships.
- Works with technical field, lab and office staff, managers, and administrative staff to ensure that projects meet AECOM quality standards.
- Bachelor’s degree in Nautical Archaeology or Anthropology with a specialization in underwater archaeology, or demonstrated equivalency of experience and/or education.
- Due to the nature of work, U.S. Citizenship is required.
- Valid U.S. Driver’s License.
- 1+ year(s) of underwater archaeological experience including shipwreck documentation, ship reconstruction, submerged precontact resources, and archaeological conservation.
- Low or no visibility diving experience.
- Diving physical and/or HAZWOPER physical.
- Rescue Diver or higher certification.
- MA/MS/PhD in Nautical Archaeology or Anthropology with a specialization in underwater archaeology.
- American Academy of Underwater Science (AAUS) scientific diver certification.
- Emergency O2 training; First Aid and CPR training with AED.
- Full Face Mask experience or certification.
- Cold water diving experience.
- Dry Suit experience or certification.
- Must be willing to travel locally to conduct field work.
- Relocation is not offered for this position.
- Sponsorship is not offered for this position.
- Travel is required for this position. Candidates will be asked to submit to a Motor Vehicle Record screening upon hire.
- This is a remote position. Candidates may be asked to travel and support projects in various location across the U.S and internationally.
- All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
With infrastructure investment accelerating worldwide, our services are in great demand, and there’s never been a better time to be at AECOM! Join us, and you’ll get all the benefits of being a part of a global, publicly traded firm – access to industry-leading technology and thinking and transformational work with big impact and work flexibility.
AECOM provides a wide array of compensation and benefits programs to meet the diverse needs of our employees and their families. We also provide a robust global well-being program. We’re the world’s trusted global infrastructure firm, and we’re in this together – your growth and success are ours too.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person’s potential, and we’ll help you reach yours.
Join us and let’s get started.
Business Line: Environment
Business Group: DCS
Strategic Business Unit: East
Career Area: Science
Work Location Model: Remote