AECOM is actively seeking a highly talented Marine Project Archaeologist / Field Director. The Marine Project Archaeologist will provide support to cultural resource projects throughout the Mid-Atlantic, greater US, and potentially international work, as available. The Marine Project Archaeologist will have knowledge of field excavation techniques, implement archaeological inventory, evaluation, and data recovery efforts, analyze precontact and historic artifacts, and prepare compliance reports. This position reports to our Columbia, SC location.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Assist in the scoping of marine archaeological projects and utilize GIS, site records, and other data sources to identify locations where maritime sites can occur.
- Keep records and maintain the relevant State Historic Preservation Officer (SHPO) documentation pertaining to cultural resources.
- Provides regulatory compliance support for Federal, state, municipal, and commercial clients.
- Serves as a Field Director and has experience in directing field crews under the guidance of the Principal Investigator including scheduling work and making individual or teamwork assignments and leading the instruction of others in the use of equipment, technology, and field methods.
- Supports all phases of archaeological investigation and regulatory compliance.
- Collects information and makes judgments through observation, interviews, and the review of documents.
- Writes archaeological reports and/or prepares archaeological site forms and assists the Principal Investigator with making decisions about project alternatives, NRHP evaluations, and effects on historic properties.
- Works with technical field, lab and office staff, managers and administrative staff to ensure that projects meet AECOM quality standards
- Performs manual labor and has ability to perform bending, kneeling, standing, and lifting and carrying objects weighing 50 lbs. and have a tolerance for working in outdoor environments, including prolonged walking or standing on various terrain in a wide range of weather conditions.
- BA/BS + 2 years of related experience or demonstrated equivalency of experience and/or education.
- Valid driver’s license with clean record.
- US Citizenship is required for this position.
- Meets the Secretary of the Interior Professional Qualification Standards for Archeology or History.
- MA or MS in Anthropology or related field.
- Completion of a university-based archaeological field school.
- Minimum two years of supervisory experience (e.g., Crew Chief).
- Knowledgeable of geophysical survey methodologies such as sub-bottom-profiler (SBP) systems, ultra-high resolution seismic (UHRS) systems, Side-scan sonar data collection, and Marine magnetometer data collection.
- Experience with the interpretation of sub-bottom and shallow seismic data interpretation and review of geotechnical data for identification of potential inundated submerged paleolandscapes
- Demonstrated use of HYPACK software and associated data analysis modules.
- Demonstrated use of Sonarwiz software and associated data analysis modules.
- Demonstrated use of with SeiSee Seismic analysis software and/or ihsMarkit Kingdom software.
- AAUS Scientific Diver or similar.
- Have Rescue Diver or higher national certification.
- Completed or willing to complete basic SOLAS or similar offshore safety training.
- Demonstrated experience using GPS units, Total Stations, GIS (e.g., ESRI products), and graphical illustration software (e.g., Adobe).
- Experience conducting terrestrial archaeological investigations as a Crew Chief.
- Demonstrated experience writing technical reports and papers.
- Relocation is note available for this position.
- Sponsorship is not available for this position.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
With infrastructure investment accelerating worldwide, our services are in great demand, and there’s never been a better time to be at AECOM! Join us, and you’ll get all the benefits of being a part of a global, publicly traded firm – access to industry-leading technology and thinking and transformational work with big impact and work flexibility.
AECOM provides a wide array of compensation and benefits programs to meet the diverse needs of our employees and their families. We also provide a robust global well-being program. We’re the world’s trusted global infrastructure firm, and we’re in this together – your growth and success are ours too.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person’s potential, and we’ll help you reach yours.