Gray & Pape, a national and international cultural heritage management (CRM) firm, is seeking a GIS Specialist in our Houston, TX office. Expected salary range for this role is $48,000-$60,000 based on skills and experience. This role is full time, regular status, exempt position. Gray & Pape offers a hybrid work environment with built in flexibility for days in the office.
Summary of the Role:
GIS Specialist is responsible for providing GIS support for company projects along with the research, development, and implementation of GIS technology for the company.
- Utilize Gray & Pape’s GIS capabilities to support and enhance projects.
- Coordinate with staff to develop GIS databases and structures used to analyze, manage, and enhance project data and client deliverables.
- Educate and mentor staff on the various capabilities of Gray & Pape’s GIS and its applicability for resource/planning analysis and project management support.
- Coordinate with project managers, field personnel, and support staff to prepare project mapping and map products.
- Manage project specific data, develop database structures, and develop project appropriate and innovative GIS and map products.
- Coordinate with other GIS personnel and GIS Director to provide evaluations and recommendations for Gray & Pape GIS resources and current/recommended technology.
- Create training materials for field and support staff and assist with training.
- Maintain familiarity with internet, published, and commercial data and base map sources; acquire needed data and electronic base mapping.
- Maintain company GIS archive and inventory of in-house resources.
- Complete projects on-time and on-budget, follow company standards and protocols.
- Evaluate and ensure data are retrieved in the field correctly, data are processed appropriately in-house, and generate accurate report graphics on time and budget.
- Participate in public outreach programs to educate people about the importance of archaeological resources and CRM at the project, professional, and/or community levels.
- B.A. in Anthropology, Geography, or related field plus 2 years’ experience in the application of GIS, CAD, and graphics software for the presentation of data in CRM and related projects.
- Software experience: AutoCAD, ArcView GIS 3.x, ArcGIS 9.x, ArcCad Map, Microstation, ArcInfo, Idrisi, GRASS, Intergraph, GPS, database management (Excel and Access), Windows operating system, and compatible word processing software.
- Experience with principles and practices of electronic mapping and cartography, particularly as relates to the use of a range of total station, GPS, and data collection instruments, and the preparation of GIS data, metadata, and map products from a variety of GIS software packages.
- Demonstrated ability to work with project managers and other researchers in developing GIS databases that address specific research designs or management needs.
- Demonstrated written and oral communication skills, particularly including the cartographic presentation of cultural, historical, and archaeological information.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and ability to operate a passenger car/light truck.
- Familiarity with both terrestrial and maritime archaeological data mapping including magnetometer remote sensing and/or terrestrial contour mapping.
Travel is project-dependent with an expectation of travel outside the local area and for multiple days. Some projects may require extended travel.
Gray & Pape offers a competitive pay and benefits package, including paid holidays, paid vacation and sick leave, health and disability insurance, and a 401(k)-retirement plan. A complete job description is available upon request.
If you are interested in joining our team, please submit the following to Ashley Huntley, HR Assistant, at Ahuntley@graypape.com. No phone calls, please.
- Cover letter detailing expression of interest;
- Resume or CV;
- 3 sample maps showing survey data, preference given for one sample showing maritime remote sensing data results.
This position is open until May 30, 2022, and qualified candidates may be interviewed and selected prior to close date. Please visit us at https://www.graypape.com/our-company/careers/ to learn more.
Gray & Pape is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to providing an environment of respect and inclusion where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and employees. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other protected status under federal, state or local law. Please contact HR to request an accommodation.