The Arnold’s Bay Project intern will have a unique opportunity to broaden their educational experience by supporting our team in excavations at the Revolutionary War battlefield site, Arnold’s Bay, in Panton, VT. Focused excavation will take place from August 1st through September 9th. Arnold’s Bay saw the conclusion of the Battle of Lake Champlain on October 13, 1776, when General Benedict Arnold guided his battered fleet into its shallow waters, set them aflame, and fled with his crew up the embankment and south to Fort Ticonderoga for the winter. In 2022, the Museum team will continue to survey the battlefield site utilizing underwater metal detectors to identify artifacts and gain a better understanding of the events of October 1776. In addition to assisting with survey and excavation, the intern will have the opportunity to engage the public through onsite and online programming, improving public access to interpretation of the lake’s underwater resources.
Duties and Responsibilities
· Assist the Research and Archaeology team in survey and excavation of the Arnold’s Bay battlefield site.
· Provide public interpretation for Museum visitors both on site and virtually.
· Support public outreach through blogs and social media series
· Participate in other Museum activities as identified by the intern as professional development interests.
Qualifications, Skills, and Attributes
· Undergraduate, Graduate student, or recent graduate in history, archaeology, historic preservation, museum studies, or related field
· Experience and/or interest in 18th century history content preferred
· SCUBA certification (open water or higher) required
· Ability to work flexibly in a (physically-distanced) office, both independently and as a team member
· Commitment to collaboration, strong technical writing skills and communication ability
· Access to private transportation
· Commitment to adhere to COVID-conscious workplace protocols
This position will include onsite, offsite, and on water work. Work outside will occur in all weather conditions.
How To Apply
Send a cover letter, resume, summary of dive experience and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Arnold’s Bay Project Intern.”
Equal Opportunity Employment
Lake Champlain Maritime Museum provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment. The Museum prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type based on race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.