Maritime Archaeology and Heritage Institute Karāchi, Sindh, Pakistan
We are now accepting applications for the post of GIS Analyst/Developer for our Inventory of Maritime Archaeology in Pakistan (IMAP) project. The post is available for an initial 4 month period, and may be followed by a 2 year project implementation phase and a subsequent 5 year project extension phase. This full-time position is based in Karachi.
Details about the role, requirements and application process are outlined above. Applicants will be assessed on the materials submitted, an interview (to be scheduled after an initial review of candidates) and referee responses.
This position will involve:
- Working collaboratively with a multi-disciplinary team of researchers to investigate the maritime heritage of Pakistan.
- Design and development of maps in ArcGIS using relational data queries.
- Undertake geospatial analysis of the project datasets using ArcGIS.
- Design and development of a backend relational database to host the project datasets. Activities will include the development of a relational data schema and all supporting forms and reports as required for research workflows.
- The relational database and GIS must ensure linkages with the existing knowledge management system and allow for export of data for external third-party database systems integration.
- Work collaboratively with the MAHI leadership and historical research teams to establish data processing workflows that ensure source materials are accurately catalogued and referenced into the project knowledge management system.
- Ensuring that work outputs meet the required quality expectations and agreed-upon deadlines.
- Completion of a Bachelors or Masters degree in geography, archaeology, engineering, computer science or related fields requiring expertise in geospatial analysis.
- At least 5 years of development experience with ArcGIS, relational databases, front-end forms and reports, and online data-hosting environments.
- Technical expertise and familiarity with publicly accessible geospatial research datasets for the Pakistan coastal and Indus River delta regions.
- Proficiency in English, including excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Previous work experience and/or familiarity with Pakistan’s coastal and Indus River delta region, including working with local communities, is desirable, but not essential for this role.
Please send the following documents to:
- A CV, including previous work experience and educational qualifications. Please include contact information for two work related referees.
- A Cover Letter addressing the Role Requirements, and explaining why you would be a good candidate for the position.
- A link to a recent online project demonstrating your expertise in developing geospatial and relational database systems.