This position is located in the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), National Ocean Service (NOS), Office of National Marine Sanctuaries (ONMS) with one vacancy in Honolulu, HI or Hilo, HI.
This position is also announced under vacancy number NOS-ONMS-2021-0005, which is open to all Status Candidates. You must apply to both announcements if you want to be considered for both.
As a Cultural Resources Coordinator, you will perform the following duties:
- Cultivate cultural stewardship, partnerships, and conservation through the creation, oversight, and coordination of the cultural heritage program, with particular emphasis on Native Hawaiian and other Pacific Islands cultures.
- Coordinate with outreach and education specialists to develop and execute education, public outreach, and engagement communications and events that may occur at various sites. Represent the Office of National Marine Sanctuaries (ONMS) at conferences, meetings, symposia and other events, and establishes professional contacts with other governmental and nongovernmental organizations, and promote Ocean Conservation and ONMS as a career path within a variety of community outreach events and formats.
- Develop trainings, orientation programs, and internal policies and guidance for ONMS staff to create an awareness regarding cultural norms, proper engagement protocols, and the importance of sanctuaries and monuments to native and indigenous communities.
- Coordinate all regulatory activities within a region that may impact cultural resources. Analyze, develop and implement procedures and administrative documents required by regulations, executive orders, or Federal policy, such as management plan reviews, sanctuary designations or expansions, or other activities requiring engagement or assessment of impacts to cultural resources.
- Prepare, compile, and maintain comprehensive control of all reports, documents, maps, files, papers, databases, records, audiovisual materials, artifacts, and any other information associated with the cultural heritage or resources within a region.