Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary is now accepting applications for 2016 AmeriCorps members!
DEADLINE is October 28, 2015
Are you interested in the Great Lakes, conservation, and Great Lakes maritime heritage? Are you interested in building your skills working with the public, volunteers, and with student groups? Want to make a difference, and develop your professional skills?
Consider joining the Huron Pines AmeriCorps team as an Education & Outreach Specialist at Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary.
• college degree
• U.S. citizen
• valid driver’s license
• committed to serving 1,700 hours from January 7 to November 4, 2016
• ability to pass a background check
• An opportunity to join others with dedication, passion and enthusiasm for the environment and for national service
• Develop real-world skills, increase your experiences and have the opportunity to network with other resource professionals
• Educational voucher in the amount of $5,730
• Loan forbearance of qualified federal student loans during term of service
• Living stipend totaling $12,530
• Health care coverage
• Child care benefits, if eligible
Brief Position Description:
The Education and Outreach Specialist will greet, orient, and provide programs for diverse audiences (adult and school groups, individuals, families, K-12 students, teachers, etc.), recruit and engage volunteers, represent the sanctuary at events and meetings, and support the sanctuary’s education evaluation efforts. Service includes learning and communicating about maritime history/archaeology & marine technology/underwater research, Great Lakes/Ocean literacy, the National Marine Sanctuary system, water quality/watershed monitoring/watershed stewardship. Service also includes volunteer engagement and working with the public. On site training is provided.
A full position description can be found here: