Assistant Project Manager, HMS Victory Conservation Project (Maternity Cover)
Salary (Grade 6): £30,350 – £31,320 per annum (dependent upon experience).
Hours: 37.5 hours per week (full-time) This is a fixed-term appointment (up to 12 months.) maternity cover.
Location: National Museum of the Royal Navy, Portsmouth Historic Dockyard with the opportunity to adopt hybrid working (a combination of working from home and onsite).
HMS Victory is a unique artefact of international historical significance owing to her status as the sole surviving ship of the line from the age of sail and having served as Admiral Nelson’s flagship at the Battle of Trafalgar. Now, HMS Victory is both a museum and the world’s oldest commissioned warship, continuing to serve as the First Sea Lord’s Flagship.
To ensure the ship can continue to inspire and serve, the National Museum of the Royal Navy is undertaking a £35m, 10–12-year programme of conservation work, to ensure she is secured for this and future generations.
This is an exciting opportunity to join the team responsible for protecting the future of this unique ship and to play a central and influential role in delivering the Conservation Programme Plan through the effective management of the Project Management Office.
- You will run the Project Management Office and support with the coordination and management of the project through effective administration of core project documentation and in the production of regular progress and highlight reports.
- You will also be required to deputise for the Project Manager as appropriate and will lead the delivery of distinct work packages and support continuous improvement, through leading reviews, evaluating progress, and embedding lessons learned, whilst identifying new opportunities to improve delivery to time, cost and quality.
- The NMRN fosters a culture of innovation and collaboration, so you will need to be a team player who is confident with communicating internally and externally, as well as juggling the opportunities and demands of a world leading heritage organisation.
- This role will enable you to broaden and develop your experience and to progress your career in heritage project management.
- Previous experience in a project / change management environment.
- Ideally, in possession of a recognised project management qualification or be working towards one.
- Innovative, highly self-motivated, and keen to seek out and take on new roles and challenges as the project develops.
- Strong attention to detail and administrative skills including proficiency in the use of MS Office including MS Project.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to establish trust and influence others and effectively disseminate information to diverse groups of stakeholders, partners and contractors.
- Understanding of procurement processes and working with subcontractors.
- Understanding of Construction (Design & Management) Regulations and health and safety requirements.
- A background in heritage management would be advantageous but not essential, and the role will suit someone keen to develop their skills and knowledge in these areas.
Please note, this post requires a standard DBS check as a requirement of working on the naval base
For further details, or an informal discussion regarding the role, please contact Simon Williams, Project Manager – HMS Victory on 02392 891370, extension: 2123, or email simon.williams@NMRN.org.uk
Applicants are asked to apply no later than midnight 28 May 2023. Interviews will be held onsite at Portsmouth Historic Dockyard 6 June 2023.
If you require reasonable adjustments to be made to the application process because of a disability, please contact the HR team on email@example.com for support.
Occupational pension, annual leave, sick pay, family friendly pay, flexible working, staff discounts, parking, EAP.