The mission of the Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency (DPAA) is to provide the fullest possible accounting for our mission personnel from our Nation’s past conflicts to their families and our Nation. DPAA personnel research, investigate, recover, & identify remains of DoD personnel unaccounted for from World War II, the Korean War, the Vietnam War, the Cold War, & the Iraq conflicts and Persian Gulf War. The Director, DPAA (SES-111), reports to the Under Secretary of Defense for Policy (USD(P)).
ncumbent typical work assignments may include the following:
- Setting, conveying and enforcing standards and procedures for research and case development.
- Researching historical records and investigative leads to identify information requirements and gaps to satisfy during field investigations and disinterment’s.
- Acting as the lead in developing historical information and regional strategies to directly support casualty investigations and search and recovery missions.
- Possessing an understanding of the geography and flow of battle, casualty evacuation processes, remains recovery activities, and remains handling and processing procedures.
- Defining the scope of assignments and determines breadth and/or depth of historical research program, budget, and schedule for completion of projects for review by peers and DPAA senior leadership.