Maritime Archaeologist – 0.4FTE – 6 Month FTC
- Team: Policy and Evidence – Strategy and Listing
- Grade: Band C
- Salary: £28,856 -£32,129 per annum plus generous benefits
- Location: National with the option for hybrid working between home and office.
- Closing: 11:59pm, 26th Mar 2023 BST
Historic England are the public body that looks after England’s historic environment. We champion historic places, helping people understand, value and care for them.
This an exciting opportunity to join our National Listing and Marine Team, where you will assist in protecting, managing and promoting coastal and underwater cultural heritage. The successful candidate will liaise with colleagues across Historic England in securing the preservation of monuments in the coastal and marine zones, provide national advice, when requested, relating to England’s coastal and marine historic environment (including designation and grant application recommendations) and promote public enjoyment, engagement and appreciation of monuments and their preservation.
What you will be doing
You will assist with national casework delivery in relation to England’s existing, and new, Protected Wreck Sites, by:• Undertaking administration and licensing in relation to the Protection of Wrecks Act 1973;
• Liaising with licensees, volunteers and other stakeholders;
• Maintaining management information systems for England’s Protected Wreck Sites;
• Assessing Risks to Protected Wreck Sites and assisting the determination of priorities for managed intervention while promoting programmes of work at priority assets through advice and recommendation of grant aid;
• Assessing project designs related to archaeological interventions, overseeing project implementation and certifying completed work;
• Assessing, as directed, the impact of unauthorised works and damage to designated heritage assets;
• Carry out archaeological fieldwork, according to Historic England’s Health & Safety policy and as directed, and;
• Communicate and promote conservation generally, liaising with Policy & Evidence Group staff, liaising with outside bodies, including other environmental agencies, members of the public and fellow professionals.
The number of activities undertaken by the National Listing and Marine Team, is wide ranging and varied, and there may be additional duties added to the above.
What we are looking for• You will be able to demonstrate a broad knowledge of the marine historic environment of England, its physical remains and of the principles and practice of archaeological fieldwork.
• You will possess a knowledge of conservation and sustainability.
• Proficiency in MS Office applications as well as social media use.
• Fully conversant with GDPR.
• You will demonstrate exceptional written and verbal communication (including public speaking) with a broad range of internal and external candidates and be able to provide examples of this.
• You will have proven planning and organisational skills
Please ensure you highlight your experience, skills and capabilities based on the above criteria in your online application.
Why work for Historic England
We are an equal opportunity employer which values diversity and inclusion. If you have a disability or neurodiversity, we would be happy to discuss reasonable adjustments to the job with you. Having just won the Gold Award from MIND, we also recognise the importance of a healthy work-life balance.
We are an inclusive employer and believe that flexible working options are for everyone. We want to make sure our working arrangements don’t prevent anyone from joining us because of their personal circumstances. We also want to provide you with the best balance in your home and work life that we can.
We are open to considering options including job sharing, part-time working, compressed hours working and different working locations, including hybrid working. Please visit our jobs pages or contact us to find out more.
We are committed to promoting equality of opportunity for everyone. Diversity helps us to perform better and attract more people to support our work. We welcome and encourage job applications from people of all backgrounds.
We particularly encourage applications from Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic candidates and candidates with disabilities as they are underrepresented within Historic England at this level.
We offer a wide benefits package including a competitive pension scheme starting at 26% contributions, a generous 28 days holiday, corporate discounts, free entry into English Heritage sites across the country and development opportunities to ensure you achieve your goals.
Historic England want all of our candidates to shine in the recruitment process. Please tell us what we can do to make sure you can show us your very best self. You can contact us by email at ResourcingTeam@Historicengland.org.uk or telephone 07763387811 if you have any recruitment queries.
Apply here: Maritime Archaeologist – 0.4FTE – 6 Month FTC – Historic England – Applied (beapplied.com)