The Chair of the Anthropocene at the Department of History, University of Zurich invites applications for a fixed-term (6 months) Student Assistant / Hilfsassistent:in (20%) starting on January 1, 2023. The position is specifically meant to support, Prof. Debjani Bhattacharyya, with her project “Climate History and Imperial Weather Knowledge in the Indian Ocean and the Caribbean from 1740-1860”.
The student assistant provides research support for the project, including online archival research on shipwrecks, insurance settlement cases settled in the British Empire between 1740 and 1860, support with preparing bibliography, editing footnotes, locating the necessary archives in the UK, Jamaica and Barbados and coordinating with archives for document delivery over email. Part of time will also be spent track media and social media coverage for contemporary carbon initiatives. While not necessary, GIS skills or knowing how to use Transkribus is highly welcome.
- The position is suitable for MA students who are interested in historical research, especially environmental history, climate history and colonial history.
- Enrolled in a history degree program
- Good oral and written communication skills in German and English
- High degree of self-motivation, creativity and excellent work ethics
- Ability to work flexibly depending on tasks
What we offer
- Gaining experience in archival research, grant application and project development
- Opportunity to establish a network with many different people both within university and archives
Place of work
Rämistrasse 64, Zürich, Switzerland
Start of employment
The starting date for the position is January 1, 2023 (later start may be possible). This is a fixed-term position with an initial duration of six months, i.e., January to June 2023, with a possible extension subject to continued fit.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please address your application, including a 1 page motivation letter, CV, proof of academic performance and a writing sample in either English or German (e.g., seminar / research paper or your BA thesis) as a single PDF to Silvia Rodríguez (email@example.com)
Review of applications will begin on December 15, 2022 and continue until the position is filled.