Job Duties: To help progress the conservation of artifacts from one of North Carolina’s most significant archaeological sites, the wreck of Blackbeard’s flagship Queen Anne’s Revenge, formerly the French slave ship La Concorde.
Major Task to be Performed:
1) Solution testing
2) Data entry
3) Artifact analysis.
4) Monitoring of storage environments
5) Artifact photography
6) Image processing
7) Assist with outreach
8) Assist conservators with long-term conservation projects
Final Product or Outcome Anticipated: Conservation is critical to a collection from a submerged environment. The intern will help progress the collection so that all artifacts can be safely studied and exhibited, contributing to not only our understanding of piracy and the slave trade but to heritage tourism in NC. The intern will also contribute to the QAR project blog.
Academic Majors Desired: Archaeology, Anthropology, History, Chemistry, Conservation, Museum Studies, Education, Maritime History, Maritime Studies
2023 State of North Carolina Internship Period: Monday, May 22 – Friday, July 28, 2023
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities / Competencies
Meticulous attention to detail, experience with Microsoft Office, comfortable working with a teamMinimum Education and Experience Requirements
- An applicant must be a permanent North Carolina resident attending a college, university, law school, community college or technical institute in North Carolina or a North Carolina resident attending an equivalent institution out of state.
- Applicants must carry a 2.5 or greater overall grade point average on a 4.0 scale.
- Applicant must be at least 18 years old by January 1, 2023.
- Applicants must be continuing their education in the fall following their participation in the program.
- To qualify for a law internship, applicants must have completed at least one year of law school before the beginning of the internship, unless other majors are listed.
- Students having previously held paid internships with this program are not eligible to apply.
- Applicants must be willing and able to work full-time for the entire 10-week internship. Applicants must be able to provide legal proof of identity and work authorization within three working days of employment.
Supplemental and Contact Information
Due to the volume of applications received, we are unable to provide information regarding the status of your application over the phone. To check the status of your application, please log in to your account and click “Application Status”. It is not necessary to contact the Council for Women & Youth Involvement Office to check the status of an application.
If you are having technical issues submitting your application, please call the NEOGOV Help Line at 855-524-5627. If there are any questions about this posting, other than your application status, please contact the Council Women & Youth Involvement Office.
NC Department of Administration
Council for Women & Youth Involvement
Attn: Candace Settle, Internship Coordinator
116 W. Jones Street
Raleigh, NC 27699-1322
Phone: (984) 236-0345