DOS – ARCHAEOLOGIST III – 45001055
Date: Sep 28, 2022
TALLAHASSEE, FL, US, 32399
Requisition No: 711805
Agency: Department of State
Working Title: DOS – ARCHAEOLOGIST III – 45001055
Position Number: 45001055
Salary: $34,501.44 – $42,000.00
Posting Closing Date: 10/11/2022
Department of State
Division of Historical Resources
Bureau of Archaeological Research
- Master’s Degree or PhD in Anthropology, Archaeology, or Maritime Studies, or related field.
- Minimum of 3 years’ professional archaeological experience.
- Underwater archaeological field experience that includes remote sensing, underwater site recording, mapping and assessment.
- Successfully completed a scientific diving training program (AAUS or equivalent)
- Knowledge of geoarchaeological techniques and methods (including sediment/core analysis)
- Knowledge of pertinent state and federal submerged cultural resource legislation.
- Boat experience that includes launching, trailering, and operating vessels.
- Experience conducting submerged cultural resource surveys
- GIS experience
- Experience with submerged pre-contact archaeological site investigation.
- Knowledge of the types and distribution of Florida’s submerged pre-contact and historic archaeological sites.
- Technical archaeological experience including: laboratory management, cataloging, artifact documentation.
- Public speaking experience.
- Grant writing and fulfillment experience.
- Vessel/equipment maintenance and repair (including: outboard motors, trailers, 12 volt wiring, fiberglass repair, airlift, dredge, remote sensing equipment).
Responses to qualifying questions must be clearly supported in your employment history.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Conduct submerged cultural resource surveys on state lands. Engage in geoarchaeological analysis and reporting. Conduct research on state owned or managed lands. Manage archaeological databases. Maintenance and upkeep of BAR research vessels. Perform other work related duties as required.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECKS:
A Level 2 criminal background check is a condition of employment. If selected for this position, you must provide your fingerprints. We will send your fingerprints to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement and the Federal Bureau of Investigation for a criminal background check.
We are committed to enhancing our workforce through the employment of Veterans, individuals with disabilities and seek qualified candidates from diverse cultures and backgrounds, abilities, skills, and talents to join our inclusive workforce.
Male applicants born on or after January 1, 1960, will not be eligible for hire or promotion unless they are registered with the Selective Services System (SSS) before their 26th birthday, or have a Letter of Registration Exemption from the SSS. For more information, please visit the SSS website: https://www.sss.gov
The State of Florida is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action Employer, and does not tolerate discrimination or violence in the workplace.
Candidates requiring a reasonable accommodation, as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act, must notify the agency hiring authority and/or People First Service Center (1-866-663-4735). Notification to the hiring authority must be made in advance to allow sufficient time to provide the accommodation.
The State of Florida supports a Drug-Free workplace. All employees are subject to reasonable suspicion drug testing in accordance with Section 112.0455, F.S., Drug-Free Workplace Act.
VETERANS’ PREFERENCE. Pursuant to Chapter 295, Florida Statutes, candidates eligible for Veterans’ Preference will receive preference in employment for Career Service vacancies and are encouraged to apply. Certain service members may be eligible to receive waivers for postsecondary educational requirements. Candidates claiming Veterans’ Preference must attach supporting documentation with each submission that includes character of service (for example, DD Form 214 Member Copy #4) along with any other documentation as required by Rule 55A-7, Florida Administrative Code. Veterans’ Preference documentation requirements are available by clicking here. All documentation is due by the close of the vacancy announcement.
Nearest Major Market: Tallahassee