HJF is seeking a Senior Historian to gather historical data from various sources to answer questions about historical events. Collects and evaluates source information from written records, physical artifacts, and other types of evidence during their investigations. Analyzes and iinterprets historical information to determine its authenticity and significance.
- Performs complex historical research into casualty resolution and unidentified remains interred in U.S. cemeteries.
- Assignments include a variety of duties, to include documentary research, oral histories, secondary source readings, geographically bounded studies, cemetery analyses, case narratives, reports of findings, and briefings to agency leadership.
- Builds and develops recommendations to disinter unidentified remains from past conflicts, with the ultimate goal of pursuing all avenues towards exhumation and identification.
- Assists with the communications with foreign representatives/embassies and casualty/mortuary offices.
- Occasionally travels nationally for Family Member Updates (FMUs) and occasionally internationally for field investigations or other activities as required by agency leadership.
- May perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned or directed by the supervisor. This may include attendance of and participation in required training for role.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of historical research and analysis.
- Ability to apply strategies to conduct research on a diverse set of source data sets and cases.
- Professional and technical writing skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and ability to develop presentations.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite of tools.
- Demonstrated experience of working independently.
- Demonstrated problem-solving and organization skills.
- Lifting: Requires lifting materials up to 10 lbs.
- Ability to stand or sit at a computer for prolonged periods.
- This position will take place primarily in an active forensic laboratory setting.
Education and Experience
- Master’s Degree in History is required. Doctoral Degree is preferred.
- Minimum of 10+ years of professional historical research experience is required.