Maritime and Coastguard Agency
We have an exciting and unique opportunity for a motivated and proactive individual to join us at the MCA, within the directorate of HM Coastguard, as the Receiver of Wreck.
This is a pivotal and historic role, responsible for administering Part IX of the Merchant Shipping Act 1995, fulfilling statutory functions and obligations such as administering cases of voluntary salvage, administering salvage awards, enforcing wreck crime and responding to wreck related incidents.
The successful applicant will provide strong leadership for the Receiver of Wreck team to ensure all matters of wreck and salvage in UK waters and wreck brought within UK waters is successfully managed.
This is an interesting, varied and fast-paced role where no two days are the same. It is a customer focused role and provides a fantastic opportunity to engage with a wide range of stakeholders, from colleagues across the MCA to Ministry of Defence and other government agencies, the general public, police, archaeologists, the diving community, heritage organisations and museums, to name just a few.
This role will be based in the Southampton HQ. MCA supports flexible working and operates a hybrid working model between home and office for this role, giving you greater flexibility over where and when you work. Details of the arrangement will be discussed further with your line manager.
The Receiver of Wreck will be part of the out of hours on-call rota and may be required to attend the scene of maritime incidents. The role also includes occasional evening and weekend working
The role may involve some travel and overnight stays within the UK and, very occasionally, some international travel may be required. This may be at short notice.
A full driving licence valid for driving in the UK is required as the role requires travel around the UK which may be to remote areas not well serviced by public transport and possibly at short notice.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Discharging the statutory functions and obligations of a Receiver of Wreck as specified within Part IX of the Merchant Shipping Act 1995
• Managing the provisions of section 2 of the PoWA 73, which includes managing the contract to mark and guard the wreck of the SS Richard Montgomery, undertaking regular surveying of the wreck using a variety of technologies, producing and publishing reports on this work and working with other colleagues and stakeholders to determine long-term wreck management strategy. Providing written and oral briefings for senior managers and Ministers
• Managing the Royal Prerogative for Fishes Royal on behalf of the Crown, developing and implementing policies and procedures to manage the removal and disposal of dead whales, dolphins, porpoises and sturgeon throughout the UK (not Scotland)
• Acting as a policy, subject matter and technical expert for enquiries relating to wreck, salvage and Royal Fish from other government departments and the public, and as first line support for customer issues relating to the online Report Wreck Material service
• Ensuring the continuous improvement of the online Report Wreck Material service, engaging with the wider Receiver of Wreck team, the developer, internal IT department and external stakeholders to improve the service and deliver excellent customer service
For an in-depth insight into the role, please refer to the Role Profile attached to this advert.
We are looking to be joined by a dynamic individual who had experience of applying national and international legislation and policies in relation to wreck and salvage issues in the maritime sector.
You will enjoy building solid working relationships at all levels, utilising your strong collaboration, stakeholder and relationship management skills. You will be a confident communicator, able to hold your own during challenging conversations. Your personable and diplomatic approach to your work, allows you to quickly build positive, trusting relationships which allow you to have your voice heard and to positively influence and negotiate decisions.
You will be committed, innovative and driven, leading your team from the front and encouraging a strong customer service ethos and a continuous improvement culture to ensure the quality of service is first class. Considered assertive and influential, you have the skills and aptitude to develop and motivate a team.
You will thrive managing a varied and challenging workload and your fantastic organisational skills mean you are able to balance and prioritise tasks.