Marine Archaeologist – Parsippany NJ
Discover your full potential. At Tetra Tech, we are collaborating with industry-leading experts for a sustainable future for our world. We combine consulting and engineering with advanced analytics and technology to solve the world’s most complex challenges. Our innovation hubs across the globe will enable you to share ideas and best practices while growing your professional network. Wherever you are in your career journey, you will benefit from working with world-class engineers, scientists, and technical specialists.
Apply today and join the company that is Leading with Science®.
Tetra Tech’s commitment to hiring the best talent in the industry and helping them thrive professionally is stronger than ever. We are currently seeking applications for an immediate Marine Archaeologist. The marine archaeologist position requires candidates who ideally have at least eight (8) years of experience working as a cultural resource principal investigator and/or manager on Projects that involve performance of background research in addition to collection and interpretation of remote sensing data.
- The marine archaeologist must be experienced in performing background research related to development of historic contexts and identification of previously recorded resources within areas of specific projects.
- The marine archaeologist must have the capability and experience to interpret data collected from geophysical surveys using instrumentation such as side scan sonar, magnetometer, and multibeam sonar survey systems to identify potential cultural resources that may be eligible to the National Register of Historic Places.
- The marine archaeologist must have the capability and experience to identify submerged paleolandscapes based on a variety of sources of geophysical data and other background sources.
- The marine archaeologist must have current PADI certification and any other standard certifications required to perform submarine exploration.
- The marie archaeologist must be experienced in assessing if potential remote sensing targets may represent cultural resources that meet the criteria to be eligible to the NRHP.
- The position requires good writing skills so that reports for a variety of clients and federal or state agencies may be developed based on the background research and on-water tasks performed.
- MA or MS degree in Anthropology (or related field) with an emphasis in underwater archaeology.
- At least eight years’ experience as a professional marine archaeologist in the US (Northeast, Middle Atlantic, Southeast, Gulf of Mexico, and Western US).
- Must be a Registered Professional Archaeologist (RPA) or be qualified to become an RPA upon employment.
- Experience in performing work compliant with Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act.
- Experience with current state-of-the- art remote sensing technology needed to collect relevant submarine remote sensing data.
- Experience in performing work to Bureau of Ocean Energy Management’s Guidelines for Identification of Historic Properties in Federal Waters.
- Candidate must be hard-working, good-natured, capable of working with others, capable of giving clear explanations and direction, capable of taking direction from Project Managers and Supervisors.
Other Desirable Knowledge and Experience:
- It is preferred that candidates have up-to-date Red Cross First-Aid and CPR training.
- It is preferred that candidates have current HAZWOPER and Refresher Training.
- Interested candidates must provide at least three professional references with their current email addresses and telephone numbers.
Physical Demands & Work Environment:
- Has ability to perform bending, kneeling, standing, and lifting and carrying objects weighing 35 lbs. and have a tolerance for working in outdoor environments, including prolonged walking or standing on various terrain in a wide range of weather conditions.
- Performs manual labor including excavation with shovels.
- Availability to work extended field rotations (sometimes 10-12 days at a time).
At Tetra Tech, health and safety play a vital role in our success. Tetra Tech’s employees work together to comply with all applicable health & safety practices and protocols, including health orders and regulations related to COVID-19 that are mandated by local, state, and federal authorities as well as project requirements.
About Tetra Tech:
Tetra Tech combines the resources of a global, multibillion-dollar company with local, client-focused delivery in more than 400 locations around the world. Our reputation rests on the technical expertise and dedication of our employees—20,000 associates working together to provide smart, scalable solutions for challenging projects. We are proud to be home to leading technical experts in water, environment, infrastructure, resource management, energy, and international development.
Explore our open positions at https://www.tetratech.com/careers Follow us on social media to learn more about our people, culture, and opportunities:
Tetra Tech is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Diversity, inclusion, and equity are among Tetra Tech’s core values. Throughout our history, the company has prioritized equitable inclusion of all people. All qualified candidates will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, military or veteran status, gender, age, disabilities, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, genetic information and any other characteristics protected by the law. We invite resumes from all interested parties. Please visit our website at www.tetratech.com to see the array of diverse services and exciting projects we are currently working on.
At Tetra Tech, we provide a collaborative environment that supports individual performance, innovation, and creativity. We are proud to offer competitive compensation and benefits. Learn more by visiting http://www.tetratech.com/en/benefits
Tetra Tech is a VEVRAA federal contractor and we request priority referral of veterans for available positions.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Please no phone calls or agencies.