Serves as the historical advisor and professional consultant for DPAA conducting historical studies.
Incumbent typical work assignments may include the following:
- Sets, conveys, and enforces standards and procedures for research and case development.
- Serves as historical advisor and professional consultant for DPAA conducting historical studies; obtaining, collecting, analyzing, exploiting, and integrating all available historical evidence and information; interpreting military history in the context of U.S. military and civilian personnel; establishing historical facts based upon research conducted; and grouping historical facts along with determining interrelationships to search, recover, and identify unaccounted-for persons from past conflicts.
- Researches historical records and investigative leads to identify information requirements and gaps to satisfy during field investigations and disinterments.
- Acts as the lead in developing historical information and regional strategies to directly support casualty investigations and search and recovery missions.
- Possesses an understanding of the geography and flow of battle, casualty evacuation processes, remains recovery activities, and remains handling and processing procedures.