Wessex Archaeology is seeking to appoint Marine Geophysicists (Supervisor/Officer grade) to join our Marine Geophysics team under the GeoServices directorate, to be based in Salisbury, Bristol or Edinburgh and exceptionally at other regional offices. This opportunity offers the chance to work as part of the dynamic GeoServices team, which together employs technical experts from a wide range of science disciplines to provide specialist input into projects and deliver a range of services to our clients by applying Earth Science techniques to a wide range of archaeological projects. The role would suit newly graduated and early career professionals. Our standard working hours are 37 hours per week; however we are happy to discuss part-time or other flexible working arrangements with the right candidate.
While the Marine Geophysics team specialises in support of the offshore renewables industry, we support many other offshore developments and with a wide range of stakeholders support marine Cultural Heritage in the UK and worldwide. The successful applicants would assist in the production and delivery of a range of marine geophysical projects, at Officer grade capability to lead on smaller such projects. The primary responsibilities of the role include:
- Processing and archaeological interpretation of a range of marine geophysical data sets (sidescan sonar, magnetometer, multibeam bathymetry and shallow seismic data);
- Accurate reporting of interpretation results, and production of high-quality client deliverables.
- Ensuring all work and resulting reporting is carried out in accordance with relevant standards and guidance.
- Acquisition and quality control of marine geophysical survey data.
Further essential and desirable skills for the role include:
- A good degree in a relevant subject (e.g. Archaeology or Earth Sciences);
- Experience in marine geophysical data processing and interpretation.
- The ability to interrogate, interpret and integrate data from numerous sources.
- Good organisation skills, and prior experience working to deadlines.
- The ability to write and communicate clearly, and experience in producing technical reports.
- Flexibility with working hours, including occasional work away from home.
- The ability to work as part of a team and the willingness to support and assist others.
- A full, clean UK driving licence.
- Prior experience in the offshore survey industry.
- Experience of software development in python and other languages.
- Membership of the Chartered Institute for Archaeologists (or another appropriate professional body);
- Current offshore sea survival (Personal Survival Techniques) and offshore medical certificates