The Department of Marine Resources is currently seeking one (1) contract worker for the Coastal Preserves Bureau.
The MDMR manages all marine life, public trust wetlands, adjacent uplands, and waterfront areas to provide for the balanced commercial, recreational, educational, and economic uses of these resources consistent with environmental concerns and social changes.
This position will have operational responsibility for the coordination of archaeology survey of MDMR’s Coastal Preserve Sites, which will allow for the full consideration of cultural and historic values in our land management and project compliance activities under the provisions of the Mississippi Antiquities Law. This position will also be required to meet MDMR response needs for archaeological resources on privately owned lands when requested, including recording new discoveries, and assessing impacts to known sites. This position is part of the Coastal Preserves Bureau and reports to the Coastal Preserves Bureau Director.
- Completes archaeological surveys and Phase II/III investigations in accordance with the Mississippi Standards for Archaeological Practice.
- Supervises additional personnel on archaeological projects as needed.
- Performs Laboratory Analysis on historic and prehistoric artifacts as necessary following survey work. Travel may be required.
- Completes archaeological survey reports in accordance with Mississippi Standards for Archaeological Practice, including evaluating sites for significance according to the National Register Criteria for Eligibility.
- Documents archaeological and historical resources using a variety of media (including, but not limited to, photography, audio, film, mapping, forms, and hand-held instruments).
- Research requests of and provides technical assistance to the public and agency for dissemination of information of historical and archaeological significance through a variety of media (including but not limited to reports, articles, letters, emails, and other written materials).
- Represents the agency through public speaking engagements, educational programs, and attendance at meetings related to the mission of the agency.
The minimum qualifications the MDMR is seeking for this position include:
- Education: Master’s Degree in anthropology, archaeology, or history, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience: Demonstrated experience completing Phase I, II and Phase III investigations on historic or prehistoric sites in the Southeast, including laboratory analysis and reporting.
- Other: Must possess a valid Mississippi driver’s license or driver’s license from another state (Mississippi residents must have a Mississippi driver’s license). MDMR will verify the driver’s license.
COMPENSATION AND HOURS WORKED
This position pays $18.00 per hour and is for 129 hours per month for twelve (12) months. MDMR reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to increase the hourly rate of pay in the future based upon merit, cost-of-living increases, or increases in job duties
Application Deadline: April 7, 2022