Check posting for qualifications, this one is for internal to the Agency right now.
- Master’s Degree in Anthropology, Archaeology, Maritime Studies, or related field.
- Applicant is an ABD PhD candidate without a Master’s Degree.
- Underwater archaeological field experience that includes remote sensing, underwater site recording, mapping and assessment.
- Successfully completed a scientific diving training program (AAUS or equivalent)
- Boat experience that includes launching, trailering, and operating
- Experience conducting submerged cultural resource surveys
- Knowledge of the types and distribution of Florida’s submerged archaeological sites
- GIS experience.
- Possess a valid driver’s license.
- Experienced diving professional with advanced diving certifications.
- Experience with submerged pre-contact archaeological site investigation.
- Knowledge of pertinent state and federal submerged cultural resource legislation (including ASA, SMCA, Section 106 F.S. 267, Chapter 1A-31, Chapter 1A-32, FS 872, Chapter 1A-46).
- Technical archaeological experience including; database management, laboratory management, cataloging, artifact documentation.
- Public speaking experience.
- Proven track record of inter-agency collaboration and communication.
- Experience with vessel/equipment maintenance and repair (including; outboard motors, trailers, 12 volt wiring, fiberglass repair, airlift, dredge, remote sensing equipment).
- Grant writing and fulfillment experience.
Responses to qualifying questions must be clearly supported in your employment history.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Conduct submerged cultural resource surveys on state lands.
Conduct submerged cultural resource educational training for state land managers and law enforcement.
Survey for submerged historic and prehistoric cultural resources within Florida’s Aquatic Preserves, review Aquatic Preserve management plans.
Conduct research on state owned or managed lands.
Maintenance and upkeep of BAR boats.
Perform other work related duties as required.
- Knowledge of Marine remote sensing technology.
- Knowledge of underwater survey & excavation tech.
- Knowledge of Florida’s submerged cultural resource management issues, laws, & policies.
- Knowledge of archaeological recording and mapping.
- Advance skills in diving, small boat handling and marine equipment maintenance.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECKS: A Level 2 criminal background check is a condition of employment. If selected for this position, you must provide your fingerprints. We will send your fingerprints to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement and the Federal Bureau of Investigation for a criminal background check.