- The HISTORY Channel seeks a Historian/Vice President, who will be responsible for assisting with fact-checking, research and ensuring overall accuracy for a wide range of historical projects including documentary programming, social media and short form video, podcasts, newsletters, articles, and more. This role includes implementation of historical projects including outreach to historians with an emphasis on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion. The role also encompasses implementation of corporate social responsibility initiatives and development of educational content for teachers and students. The ideal candidate possesses a deep knowledge of history, a detail-oriented and impeccably organized approach to research and fact-checking (copy and visuals), and an ability to help craft and review historical content for a fast-paced, entertainment-driven television brand. Knowledge of the histories of BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, AAPI, Latinx, etc.) and other historically excluded communities required.
- Responsibilities: · Work with the Chief Historian to assess and review a wide range of historical projects for entertainment-driven television brand · Responsible for day-to-day fact-checking and accuracy checks for a wide-range of historical content · Serves as a liaison with production and creative teams, providing historical input and insights on a wide range of projects, including ensuring accuracy · Identifies and builds relationships with historians, with a focus on BIPOC histories· Works closely with the historical community to source experts to provide commentary and perspective on historical programming and content · Helps develop and edit historical educational content including classroom guides and newsletters geared toward teachers and high school students · Assists with project management for corporate social responsibility initiatives.
- Qualifications/Requirements Basic Qualifications: • Advanced Degree in History or a deep knowledge of history developed through hands-on research, fact-checking and writing experience; MA or Ph.D. in History or extensive knowledge of History preferred• Minimum 3-5 years relevant work experience in the history field• Proven fact-checking, research and writing skills • Knowledge of BIPOC history, communities and institutions required
- Additional Qualifications: • Ability to work independently with strong decision making and critical thinking skills. • Ability and willingness to work on deadline and handle multiple tasks at once with a precise and detail-oriented approach with an impeccable attention to historical accuracy. • Must love entertainment and television and understand the intricacies of creating content for consumer audiences• Excellent written and verbal skills to communicate effectively and on-brand with consumers as well as internal and external stakeholders. Strong editorial discretion and great copywriting skills. • Works well with teams. Excellent project and time management skills, you learn fast and can accommodate rapid change reacting quickly to new information.
- Desired Characteristics: • Innovative and creative thinker with a deep knowledge of history. Excellent research and analytical skills. • Knowledge of social media platforms and short form video. • Ability to learn new databases and project management systems