This position is located within the Department of the Interior, Bureau of Ocean Energy Management, BOEM, Gulf of Mexico OCS (Outer Continental Shelf) Region, Office of Environment, Biological/Social Sciences Section, Social Sciences Unit, Jefferson, LA.
At the full performance level (GS-12) the major duties of this position include, but are not limited to the following:
1. Researches regional and sub-regional areas of the Gulf of Mexico to identify and assess key socioeconomic issues and effects associated with OCS Programs. These will include, but are not limited to: population, labor, and employment; public services and infrastructure; human health and safety; traditional cultures; recreational resources; environmental justice; and family structure.
2. Prepares and reviews sections of Environmental Impact Statements (EIS) and Environmental Assessments (EA) on proposed Federal OCS activities.
3. Maintains an information base relevant to the key socioeconomic factors of interest. The information base will be maintained on a variety of storage media including hard copy and digital (spread sheets, databases, and a geographic information system).
4. Identifies specific sociological and/or related environmental problems that may be addressed as research or study efforts; analyzes the nature of the problems; develops study protocols to resolve these problems, or to provide an information base for better understanding of the problems; and recommends these studies for funding approval via the Environmental Studies Program (ESP) or operational funding.
5. Keeps abreast of new developments in the field through current literature, attendance at meetings and seminars, and communication with other experts outside the Bureau. Conducts independent research and the preparation of reports and technical papers for publication and presentation.
The BOEM Office of Environment, Biological/Social Sciences Section, Social Sciences Unit has determined that the duties of this position are suitable for telework and the selectee may be allowed to telework with supervisor approval.