A Field Geoscientist’s primary duty will be to perform integrated engineering and geological investigations by combining geophysical, geological, and geotechnical data to develop a detailed understanding of site conditions as they relate to subsea engineering issues associated with offshore energy, telecommunications, and education sectors while working in the field (offshore).
Duties & Responsibilities
- For offshore work during geophysical survey operations, perform side-scan sonar (SSS), sub-bottom profiler (SBP), multi-beam echo sounder (MBES) (including backscatter and water column data), magnetometer, and 2D/3D high-resolution seismic data QC, interpretation, and analysis.
- Present detailed Geohazard Assessment Reports for clients in the telecommunications, education, and energy sectors.
- Coordinate and work with other industry proffessionals (Geoscientists, Engineers, Archaeologisist, Project Managers, etc…) during the life of a project.
- Able to work on strict reporting timelines and deadlines.
- Work offshore with a target utilization of approximately 180 days per year while on Oceaneering or 3rd party geophysical and geotechnical vessels for periods generally between 2 to 6 weeks, on both regional and international projects.
- Work within a team environment collecting high-resolution geophysical and geotechnical data, seabed soil and rock samples and performing in situ testing using standard and novel marine coring and penetration tools.
- During geotechnical operations, perform offshore core logging to classify seabed soil and rock samples, perform basic index and strength testing on collected samples, and package and store offshore samples for transport to onshore laboratory testing facility.
- Perform quality assurance checks on all offshore geophysical data, geotechnical testing, and data processing, interpretation and reporting.
- The Field Geoscientist may be required, on occasion, to perform the same functions while onshore and in an office environment
- Understanding of AUV technical operations
- All other duties assigned