The Historian will provide support for the Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships (DANFS) program at NHHC located at the Washington Navy Yard. This will include conducting independent research in order to draft histories on individual ships needing DANFS entries.
* Conduct archival research to find relevant information that will assist with drafting new DANFS entries as well as update existing DANFS entries.
* Independently draft DANFS entries to include a biography section on the ship’s namesake and a chronological account of the ship’s activities and operations.
* Learn how to upload new DANFS entries to the NHHC website as well edit existing entries on the NHHC website using Adobe CQ.
* Utilize existing Microsoft Excel spreadsheets to update progress on DANFS entries.
* Assist with tracking the DANFS entries of decommissioned ships that need updating as well as the active ships that need periodic updates based on recent operations.
* Assist DANFS production by proofreading and editing entries written by other NHHC historians and contractors.
* Provide written DANFS entries of proper length as deemed appropriate by the DANFS Editor based on the necessary amount of biographical information and ship operational history.
* Provide written DANFS entries constructed from thorough archival research and contain a minimal number of spelling and grammatical errors. Entries will meet NHHC style guides and professional standards.
* Be an expert in the field of history with 3-5 years of history experience that shall include experience in performing research among primary documents and writing historical articles for publication, particularly for the Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships.
* Advanced degree preferred, minimally an undergraduate degree in history with demonstrated subject matter expertise in a field of history with extensive research, writing, and publication experience.
* Writing sample required.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $80,000.00 – $95,000.00 per year
- Research & Writing: 3 years (Required)
- Bachelor’s (Required)
- Monday to Friday
- Temporarily due to COVID-19