A new inter-disciplinary PhD position on human coastal adaptation and marine conservation is available in the Narayan Lab (https://narayanlab.weebly.com/) in the Dept of Coastal Studies at East Carolina University. Submission deadline for full applications is June 1, 2020. Interested candidates are encouraged to email Dr. Siddharth Narayan (narayans19 at ecu.edu) before applying. More details below.
The successful candidate will be expected to integrate insights from multiple disciplines to explore the trade-offs and synergies between human adaptation to coastal hazards and conservation of coastal and marine ecosystems. The PhD student will be part of an interdisciplinary research based at the Coastal Studies Institute in the Outer Banks, North Carolina. They will work under the direct supervision of Dr. Narayan and will have the opportunity to be co-advised by faculty from geography, conservation, social sciences and economics. The position provides a tuition waiver, monthly stipend, and health insurance for the first two years. Funding in subsequent years is likely, contingent on performance and available funds.
· Master’s degree in coastal engineering or management, geography, geology, conservation, or a related field
· Experience in analyzing quantitative and/or qualitative and spatial data.
· Familiarity with GIS, statistical modeling, and hazard modeling is a plus.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills and strong interpersonal skills.
· Application deadline is June 1st 2020. Full applications need to be submitted to https://coastal.ecu.edu/coastalstudies/integrated-coastal-sciences/ics-admissions/. Interested students are encouraged to contact Dr. Siddharth Narayan (narayans19 at ecu.edu) before applying. Please feel free to e-mail with any questions.