This position serves as the Director of the Museum of the Albemarle, in Elizabeth City, NC; one of the regional museums in the division. The job duties include:
- Overall administration and management of the staff and the museum facility, including budget preparation and management, day-to-day operations of the museum facility, and local staff personnel management.
- Lead the development of long-range and annual planning for the museum, and oversee the overall exhibition and program development of the museum, including developing exemplary exhibitions, programs and activities which make the full resources of the Museum accessible in the regional context.
- Lead effective program execution, coordination of consultations and service programs for other museums and cultural organizations of the region.
- Participate in fundraising activities, including grant writing, to raise funding for exhibits and programs and work closely with the Friends of the Museum support organization to promote the museum.
- Engage with community organizations and local, state and national governmental and educational organizations (Elizabeth City State University and United States Coast Guard) to promote the museum and create new programs and exhibits.
- Develop effective internal communications within the museum to keep the staff updated on museum and Department activities and develop external communications related to publicity, advertising, and the overall public and professional image of the museum.
- Ability to communicate effectively in both public and scholarly contexts through writing and public speaking.