1) Executive Director, Hull Lifesaving Museum, closes 20 May
2) Assistant Curator of Ship Models, Royal Greenwich Museums, closes 15 June
3) ERC Advanced Grant Funded Research Studentship 2014-2017 in the field of Roman Mediterranean Ports
University of Southampton, closes 21 May
4) ERC Advanced Grant Funded Research Studentship 2014-2017 in the field of Roman Mediterranean Ports
University of Southampton, closes 21 May
5) Cold Spring Harbor Whaling Museum, Educator
Museum Educator Cold Spring Harbor, NY
Have a blast teaching about the ocean, history, and many other topics in art, culture, and science!
The Museum Educator is responsible for developing and teaching exciting, high-quality educational programs according to the highest standard of the museum’s potential. This part-time, hourly, non-exempt position offers a unique opportunity to practice a wide range of skills by leading innovative, interdisciplinary activities, and connecting people of all ages with the museum’s collection. Educator is instrumental in strengthening visitors’ appreciation of Long Island’s maritime history with other diverse topics in culture, art, and science in meaningful ways. The museum delivers programs for preschoolers to seniors; majority of events are family-friendly and are geared for children 5-12 years old. Weekdays with occasional weekend and evening work required; scheduling and number of hours worked per week can be seasonally flexible. Position begins in June. Those available only for summer season will be considered, although position can extend into fall and winter. Some travelling is required, as some museum programs take place off-site throughout Nassau and Suffolk counties, especially in the summer.
– Degree in education (or pursuing degree in education); Certification & Master’s preferred; OR Degree in Life Sciences/History/Museum Studies coupled with strong teaching background
– At least 2 years experience teaching in classroom and informal museum settings
– Demonstrated skill in creating age-appropriate materials for many learning styles, including knowledge of hands-on, inquiry-based learning theories
– Creative, motivated, and enthusiastic with strong can-do attitude; excellent public presentation skills; makes learning a fun adventure!
– Knowledge of Long Island’s maritime history/whale biology/ocean sciences, or willingness to learn
– Reliable and punctual; able to multi-task and manage time effectively in a small but busy workplace
– Willingness to travel to offsite locations with personal car, as needed (we will reimburse mileage)
– Moderate lifting of portable teaching bins may be required
– Able to work independently or part of a close team
– Excellent verbal and writing skills; strong organizational skills
– Computer proficient (Microsoft Office; knowledge of Microsoft Publisher or other design programs desired)
1.Contribute to the creation, development, delivery, and evaluation of programs, including the following:
i.School programs, mostly during weekday mornings in the school year
ii.Offsite outreach programs, mostly at Long Island libraries (many bookings in the summer)
iii.Camp programs during school breaks (Dec/ Feb/April Break & Select Summer Weeks)
iv.Family Events, mostly on select weekends, others on weekdays
v.Birthday Parties during select weekends
vi.Other education programs either on or off-site, including Scout programs and sleepovers
vii.Furthering efforts for collaborative programs
2.Help oversee daily operations in the museum, including opening/closing
3.May assist developing the museum’s yearly changing gallery and exhibit space; work with other staff in interpreting the museum’s collections
4.Furthering knowledge in the best practices of museum education
5.Undertakes or assists any special projects at the request of the Executive Director.
Interested applicants should send:
1) Coverletter detailing specific interest 2) Resume
3) Example of lesson plan or project which you created or developed
4) Scheduling Availability for June-August, as well as throughout the year
Email ASAP to Nomi Dayan, Executive Director at email@example.com.
Email Only; No Phone Calls Please.